Tuesday, April 17, 2007

First Post

This is my first post on my first photo blog. I'm hoping it will provide motivation for me to work on new images and think out loud through new projects as well as a chance to get some feedback from others who are interested in photography. I have given up teaching English after 15 years in order to focus on my photography and graphic design work, and it sometimes feels isolating after facing roomfuls of people every day, so please feel free to let me know what you think of what you see here.

I'm going to start off with a couple of pictures that are currently on display at the gallery in Tamarack, a showcase for West Virginia arts, near Beckley, WV.




This photo was taken in the basement of the University of Charleston. I loved the repetition of shapes and of the textures in this image. I either need to go reshoot these switches or go back and re-edit the image though because I'm not very happy with my cropping of the picture. The switches are too hemmed in on the left side and it feels claustrophobic and a little unbalanced the longer I look at it. Thoughts?




This image is the other photograph I have at Tamarack currently and is my wife's favorite. I don't usually take a lot of landscape photography mainly because to take really good landscape shots that don't look like any postcard you could buy, you have to have great imagination, patience, and skill. A willingness to get dirty doesn't hurt either. Most of my landscape shots are lucky if they even reach the level of postcard photography. This one however, was twisted enough to really capture my eye. It's a reflection of a hillside in late afternoon in a mud puddle. I have turned the image 180ยบ in order to make it appear as the landscape itself and not a reflection. It is very disorienting and unsettling until you figure out what the image actually is doing. I'm very happy with the composition and idea behind this photo. Straight landscape I'm not so good at; *surreal* landscape is more my cup of tea.

Thanks for checking out my very first photoblog. I will update as regularly as I can. I am going to Boston this weekend and hope to take some good photos there. If anyone has any must-shoot subjects up there, please let me know. Take care.

RAV

3 comments:

Jacob said...

Woo! First comment! Looking good, Andy. Can't wait to see more of your photos!

Unknown said...

Heya! Cool blog. I did a quick touch up of the "Switches" photo- straightened it a little and corrected the white balance. I can't figure out how to post it here, so I'll email it to you- let me know how you feel about it. Hope you don't take offense, just wanted to see if it could be helped a little so you wouldn't have to go back and shoot it again.

Looking forward to visiting the blog often. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://community.gazzetta.gr/profiles/blogs/consolidate-credit-cards ]consolidate student loans credit cards [/url]credit cards loans consolidate credit christian consolidate credit cards government help to consolidate credit cards
[url=http://www.officialflo.com/profiles/blogs/consolidate-credit-cards ]credit cards consolidate [/url]consolidate credit cards and personal loans gas cards consolidate credit card debt credit card to consolidate credit cards
[url=http://community.bonniehunt.com/profiles/blogs/consolidate-credit-cards ]consolidate loans and credit cards [/url]consolidate debt get credit cards loans consolidate credit cards in nevada how to consolidate all credit cards